Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Family

There is no shortage of quotes on cherishing family. I just hope they do not fall upon deaf ears. It is common for people to dream of perfection when it comes to their future families. Usually that perfection includes a place for everything and everyone and everything and everyone a place. I sit and I look around my home with the children's artwork everywhere, my husband sprawled across the love seat, and the natives, well restless as usual, and I know that I have perfection. How many people get a genuine laugh everyday courtesy of a five and six years old? Everyday, I hear I love you as sincere as can be. It is easier than I would like to admit, to take for granted each of these little moments--my daughter's musings about her latest robot sketches, my son's intensity about race cars. So many shallow minded adults think of these moments as nuisances. The could not be more wrong. The innocence and excitement of children are characteristics to which we should all aspire. I wish I could be so lucky to approach each day with such curiosity and adoration for what is new. Yet, I am so fortunate to experience it through the eyes of my children.

So, I take this moment, to go on record to the world with my gratitude to my children for honoring me with a front seat on their remarkable journey. I just hope that I never impede their joy or their dreams. I hope that I am always supportive of all the good that they will do. As they sleep now, I hope visions of sugar plums are dancing in their heads.

No comments: