Friday, August 15, 2008

Pushing the Envelope

If you know me, you know I'm no stranger to bucking the system. I admittedly have a problem with authority. My problem is not with all authority; my problem is with irrational authority. I also have a problem with those who voice their disdain for authority with figures and groups unable to bring about change. At work, at school, with government--it never fails to be some stupid or simply outdated rule or procedure that people follow simply to avoid confrontation. In the meantime, they are all stressed and spend excessive time complaining instead of working towards change.

Well, that just isn't my nature, but this time, I might have taken it too far. I believe strongly in principle and integrity. Too often the status quo continues because of fear and a lack of principle and integrity. Many knew that slavery was wrong, but looked the other way and did nothing. I have more contempt for these people than slave owners. I have more respect for anyone when they have a position. At least I know where they stand.

I've been engaged in a battle of principle with one of my professors. He did not provide his grading policy on the syllabus and provided an ambiguous guidline for minimum standards. After speaking with him and asking for policy specifics, he either could not or would not provide them. I even followed our conversation with an email to which I have yet to receive a response. Thus, I contacted appropriate personnel at the university in an attempt to find resolution or at the very least a mediator. They have demonstrated a great deal of ineptitude as well. The university informed me that the grading policy is the sole discretion of each instructor and providing a numerical explanation is not required. Needless to say, this is an incident which necessitated pushing the envelope of "acceptable limits". I found this response to be at the very least distasteful and outright unacceptable and I said such to the academic chair. Have I gone too far? Have I risked my grade in this class or worse my reputation in the program? Possibly, but I stand firm on principle and simply doing the right thing. With regard to this situation, my professor owes me the common courtesy of responding to my email. The academic chair agreed with this. Furthermore, I am owed an explanation of any and everything affecting my degree and ultimately my professional endeavors. However, I am not supported on this half of my issue. Nonetheless, I shall continue to push the envelope, buck the system, or whatever you would like to call it. I call it character and thank the Creator I have the gumption to speak my mind while others wallow in frustration and complacency.

1 comment:

Torri Bradshaw said...

I agree, I had a similar experience, sad to say it hurt my grade in the class. I know for a fact the teacher graded me the hardest and "had it out" for me from the very time I spoke up. But I guess birds of the feather... you know the rest. I hate having to deal with authority and hate worse those in positions who are irrational. It's my schools policy to provide a grading scale, and a gpa calculation at the beginning of EVERY class. You would think this is the policy of all schools. Umph!! You would also think that advisors should be available the same times class is in session, be it fall, spring, or summer? Think again!! My advisor, who was also my teacher, worked on a 9-month appointment, and therefore, although she was teaching me during the summer, could not offer me advising help until the 3rd week of August. I pay my money to go to the University and regret that I did not do a thorough investigation of the policies and procedures of the department/college before I started attending.