Thursday, November 27, 2008

Defeated




Something is amiss with my husband and me. Last Thanksgiving, we were in sync...finishing each other's sentences, reading each other's minds, Taboo champs. We walked into Casa de Walker and left their metaphorical carcasses decomposing in defeat. We cleaned the floors with them. We were unstoppable, yes, we shamed my cousins in their own home. Well, today was the rematch and it wasn't really so much that my husband and I were off as much as it was the rest of our team. We went from the dream team last year to bench warmers. My mother's trusty steed claimed to be so adept at the game only to not even get one clue from his mouth. Thank the Creator for Six who saved the day and managed to keep us in the game. You go girl! Mommy is so proud of you.



This is serious, it has become a tradition of gatherings. We play to win. What is most disturbing is that we lost to my cousin who is 13. I must admit, I beckoned him to the other side because I foolishly believed that he might lack the general knowledge to give good clues. Boy was I wrong. He gave them eight of their 16 points. If you have not played Taboo, Gestures, or Scrabble you are really missing some hilarious fun. I remember my family battling each other at each holiday gathering when I was a little girl. They would argue vehemently over the legitimacy of words when the dictionary, which was on the table, would have much more quickly resolved the argument. It was the spirit and thrill of it all. Now as an adult, I have caught that same spirit of camaraderie. This year, it has ended in disappointment. Nonetheless, as always, we had so much fun--even if we did lose. Surprisingly, my super competitive husband is not that bothered about it. Perhaps he expended all of his mojo on the Cowboys who did win today. So, he'll be on cloud nine till the next game.